NEWS

22-Year-Old National-Level Wrestler Electrocuted To Death In Inundated Ranchi Stadium

10/08/2017 10:41 AM IST | Updated 10/08/2017 10:42 AM IST
LightRocket via Getty Images
REPRESENTATIVE IMAGE: A wrestler practicing in a mud pit.

A freak accident took the life of a 22-year-old national-level wrestler in Ranchi yesterday. Vishal Kumar was found unconscious in the inundated Jaipal Singh Stadium, suspected to have been electrocuted by a live wire hanging loose in the washroom, according to media reports.

The Telegraph reported that Kumar was visiting the wrestling association office in the stadium at 2 pm, when he was electrocuted by a live wire in the flooded washroom of the building.

He was rushed to the Ranchi Sadar Hospital, but died on the way.

The Kotwali thana OC, SN Mandal, told the paper that a probe has been ordered. The stadium is said to be in shambles and rainwater flooded it routinely at the beginning of monsoon.

Vishal was the only earning member in his family of six, reported NDTV, adding that Kumar, who started his wrestling career in 2005, was ranked fourth in the last senior National Wrestling Championship.

Bholanath Singh, secretary of the state wrestling outfit, said, "it is extremely unfortunate. I don't know why he went to the office which is sunk in deep waters. The situation of the stadium is pathetic and the building is in ruins. We have demanded Rs 10 lakh compensation from the government for the kin of Kumar."

More On This Topic