NEWS

45 Students Fall Sick After Suspected Food Poisoning At Local Madarsa In Purnia, Bihar

One of the students' condition is critical.

06/03/2017 2:45 PM IST | Updated 06/03/2017 2:45 PM IST
Adnan Abidi / Reuters
Representational image.

PURNIA -- As many as 45 students of a residential minority seminary were taken ill due to suspected food poisoning in Bihar's Purnia district, a medical officer said on Monday.

The incident took place at Jamia Milia Bada Madarsa at Dagarua Bazar on Sunday night as 45 students reported symptoms of vomiting and loose motion soon after having dinner at the residential school, the Civil Surgeon Dr MM Wasim said.

A doctor from the block hospital was initially called but soon after a medical team comprising doctors and four ambulances from Sadar hospital, reached there to begin treatment of the ailing students, he said.

While 44 sick students were undergoing treatment at the madarsa itself, one student has been referred to Sadar hospital in view of his serious condition, Wasim said.

The Civil Surgeon said that food poisoning was suspected to be the cause of sudden illness of 45 madarsa students.

Meanwhile, the Baisi Sub-Divisional Officer (SDO) Anil Kumar has expressed ignorance about the incident.

When asked as to what action the local administration proposed to take into the food poisoning incident, he said that he was trying to find out the facts of the matter from madarsa officials.

Also On HuffPost:

Residential Schools: A Photo History

More On This Topic

SPONSORED BY THE LIVE, LOVE, LAUGH FOUNDATION