The world is looking at India with hope and optimism, Prime Minister Modi told the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas today. He said he has fulfilled his promises related to visa regulations and ease of doing business in India since he assumed office in May.
Here are seven top points he made in the speech to the Indian diaspora attending the three-day event at Gandhinagar, Gujarat. He also made references to Mahatma Gandhi's return to India in 1915 from South Africa.
1. People used to leave our country in pursuit of aspiration and opportunities. Those opportunities are present in India today. Times have changed very quickly.
2. The world is seeing India with immense hope and optimism. Nations, rich and poor, are now interested in India, and working with us.
3. The whole world admires the Indian community not due to the money but the values they are living with.
4. 100 years ago, one 'NRI' returned to India and today one Gujarati NRI welcomes entire overseas Indian community.
5. I know there were times you did not really want to participate in Pravasiya Bharati Divas, but I always attended.
6. When there was a quake in Gujarat, there would not have been a single person of Indian origin across the world who didn't shed tears.
7. Everything can't be measured in pounds or dollars. Our relationship with people of Indian origin is beyond that.Suggest a correction