The current state of digital is directly tied to data. Data is everywhere, informing marketers about audience interests, consumer intent, and device activity. The current trends in digital marketing involve marketers applying new techniques, making use of new platforms and softwares to plan, manage and optimise their marketing efforts.
There's a real thirst for knowledge amongst marketers for the new trends in digital marketing and reviewing the latest marketing techniques and technologies. In deciding on the most relevant trends for marketers we don't just look at what's 'Hot' or 'Cool', but instead focus on what makes the biggest difference to marketers from a commercial sense. Here are the digital marketing trends we identified last year.
- Digital platform as a wholesome marketing: Content creation, search optimisation and social media will be less considered as specific departments and treated more like skills that exist across the organisation.
- Mobile will not be the exception: Mobile user experience is steadily moving up and the focus will be on sophistication, while maintaining simplicity. Brands should not simply import their website to mobile, as it becomes hard to navigate. It's too easy for consumers to move on to another brand that has a mobile responsive website. Mobile banking, recharge and content viewing on mobile will become routine.
- Marketing through wearable technology: Consumers have positively got on to purchase of wearable technology. Brands like Apple, Samsung and Sony have intrigued the consumers to stay connected with ease. Adoption of wearable technological devices is expected to gradually increase next year, and it would be wise on the marketers' part to not ignore this potentially exciting segment in 2015.
- Big Data becoming even Bigger: Marketers should be equipped with the information that will help them make better decisions and provide better services to their clients. Data analysis solutions will become more popular and available in 2015 Big data, and with the help of advanced analytics this will bridge the gap between brands and consumers, leading to a more refined targeting by brands
- Digital campaigns will be data driven: Advertising on social media will focus on driving measurable results using cutting-edge tracking and analytics. Websites will focus more on optimising conversion rates than increasing website traffic.
- Digital marketing spend on the rise: With digital media becoming an inevitable part of the consumers' lives, digital platforms are now constantly trying to give the best user experience. This in turn will increase the competitiveness between brands, which would imply larger spends by marketers in the coming year
- Content is still King as long as it's qualitative: Content has been an integral part of digital marketing strategies for a few years now, but with so much of it out there, future content needs to be better and smarter. Content that's relevant and interesting isn't just a good idea, it's a requirement. 2015 will see more and more of refined branded content being consumed by online users.
Before crafting the budget of fiscal year 2015, brands must first understand the latest digital marketing trends, including the use of technology to leverage search and social data. The success of today's marketing organisations is largely driven by their adoption of digital technologies to transform their business. As we move towards 2015, the digital transformation of today's organisations will only accelerate, with several trends driving it forward.