For over six years, an entrepreneur in Hyderabad, India, has been working on an innovative idea. He relentlessly pursued it, mortgaged his apartment and funded his workshop with a loan. He was determined, but struggling to make a successful business.
Then one day, we decided to cover this entrepreneur's story as a short video. And to use a cliched phrase, the video went viral. Watch it here:
Within 24 hours of going live, the video had clocked half a million views. Till date the above instance has got 6 million views. And then, numerous other media companies carried the story — The Telegraph (UK), Forbes, NowThis, Huffington Post to name just a few. Adding up the publicly available numbers for all the above channels, it turns out that 100 million+ people watched or read about Narayana Peesapaty and his innovative company, Bakeys!
- 100 million people across at least 20 countries have now heard about it. That's a huge number — it's like 1 in every 3 Americans or 10% of India's population!
- Pre-orders of spoons worth ₹6 crores (US$1 million) within a few days of the video going live.
- The Kickstarter campaign is about to close at ₹1.2 crores (US$200,000).
- A fundraiser on Ketto is at ₹25 Lakhs (US$ 40,000).
- Huge interest from people in Europe, Africa, USA for distributing the product in their communities.
- One Australian came all the way to India to see if he could work with Bakey's!
- Investors poured in their interest in funding the business
- Orders and enquiries from global chains such as KFC and Pizza Hut and from leading hotels, including the Taj, Oberoi and Sheraton
- Orders from airline catering companies.
- And above all, an entrepreneur's time of six years in building a good product was made worthwhile within a few hours.
By reporting positive news from across the country, we at The Better India are continuing to change lives — one story at a time.