14/05/2015 1:37 PM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:25 AM IST

What Students Must Do If Colleges Demand Original Certificates

To go with story 'India-education, FOCUS' by Pratap Chakravarty Indian students look at the 'second cut-off' list for admissions at Delhi University in New Delhi on June 21, 2011. Education is a priority in most Indian households, with children put under constant pressure to attain good marks in exams and earn a prized place at over-stretched universities, with a view to lucrative careers. In New Delhi, 6,400 students secured 90 percent or more marks and 281 others bagged 95 percent in their school-graduating exams while the national total of such high performers crossed 21,600, according to available figures. AFP PHOTO/ MANAN VATSYAYANA (Photo credit should read MANAN VATSYAYANA/AFP/Getty Images)

It is admission season. Very good to very bad institutes are out in the market, either truthfully enumerating their plus points or resorting to half- or untruths to lure you into their portals.

Meanwhile, as you embark on the next leg of your educational journey, you, as students, must be aware of your rights.

Don't deposit your original certificates with any college. The Supreme Court and UGC have ordered that a photocopy of the original certificate is enough. At most, the original can be shown for verification and the photocopy left behind. Depositing original certificates closes your options. The UGC notification says:

"The Commission is of the view that the institutions/universities, by way of retaining the certificate in original, force retention of admitted students which limits the opportunities for the candidates from exercising other options of joining other institutions of their choice. However it would not be permissible for institutions and Universities to retain the School/Institution Leaving Certificate, mark sheet, caste certificate and other documents in original."

If any college still demands originals, show them the UGC notification and the SC order. Both are available at this link. Let them know the law.

If they still insist, don't take chances, give it to them and drop CAREERS360, a mail. We will take it up and ensure your get your certificates back. After all, it is our job to ensure that colleges follow the law.

You can also send a complaint to the following e-mail addresses:;;;;;;;

If you still have a problem, write to me personally at

Let us empower the students when they need the most. Let us force the institutions to do what is right.

Like Us On Facebook |
Follow Us On Twitter |
Contact HuffPost India

More On This Topic