The Supreme Court on Thursday ordered the transfer of five cases from Unnao to a competent court in Delhi and asked the CBI to complete its investigation into the Unnao rape survivor’s car accident within seven days, PTI reported.
The court has directed the trial in the Unnao rape case to be completed within 45 days and it has awarded Rs 20 lakh compensation to the survivor’s lawyer to be paid by UP government.
The investigating agency in Unnao case will have to seek extension in exceptional circumstances, the court said.
The court will listen to the case again on Friday.
“What’s happening in this country? Things are not happening within four corners of law,” Gogoi said while listening to the case in the Supreme Court.
MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar, an accused in the rape case, was on Thursday expelled from the BJP, a day after questions were raised about his suspension from the party.
CBI Joint Director Sampat Meena appeared in the court after the SC bench directed Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, who was appearing on behalf of the agency, to ensure the presence of a responsible officer at 12 noon before it to give details on the probe conducted so far in the rape and the subsequent accident case.
The 5 Unnao cases
The CBI is seized of four Unnao cases, Solicitor Genenral Tushar Mehta told the court as the agency gave an update on the status of each. The investigation into the survivor’s accident was also given to the CBI.
First case: Rape of girl in Unnao, charge sheet filed and MLA and others are in jail
Second case: Another case registered for the gang rape of the survivor, allegedly committed a week after the crime by the legislator. Chargesheet yet to be filed, Live Law reported.
Third case: Case under Arms Act against Unnao victim’s father, found to be fake.
Fourth case: Survivor’s father killed in police custody. Case filed by her mother. Chargesheet filed in the case.
Fifth case: The car accident in which the survivor and her lawyer were critically injured and two of her aunts killed.
Security for rape survivor’s family
The court said the CRPF will provide security for the survivor, her mother and other members of the family and an officer of the level of commandant will file a compliance report forthwith.
Shifting survivor to AIIMS in Delhi
The Supreme Court has sought the view of the family of the rape survivor, presently in ICU at the Lucknow hospital, on shifting her for more advanced treatment. The court has also asked the amicus curiae to seek instructions from the family of injured lawyer for shifting him.
The court was informed by the CBI that the rape survivor and her lawyer who was injured in accident are fit to be shifted to AIIMS in Delhi.
The Supreme Court had earlier said it may order to shift Unnao rape victim to AIIMS. She is currently under treatment at the King George’s Medical University’s trauma centre in Lucknow.
Cases transferred out of Unnao
The Supreme Court made clear it will transfer the rape case involving BJP legislator Kuldeep Singh Sengar out of Unnao district in Uttar Pradesh and had summoned a “responsible” CBI officer before it by 12 noon to provide details of the probe conducted so far in the sensational matter.
The top court also refused a plea by Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the CBI that the matter be adjourned to 10:30 am on Friday, as the officers probing the Unnao cases were out of Delhi.
A bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi rejected Mehta’s contention, saying the CBI director can gather the information of the cases on telephone and apprise the bench on Thursday.
“We are going to transfer all the cases. We will pass the order to this effect,” said the bench, comprising Justices Deepak Gupta and Aniruddha Bose.
Following this, CBI Joint Director Sampat Meena appeared in court.
The cases related to the Unnao rape were the first item taken up by the top court on Thursday.
Unnao survivor’s letter to CJI
The Supreme Court quizzed its secretary general on asks the survivor’s letter to the CJI asking why it had not reached Ranjan Gogoi as early as possible.
The secretary gen told the court it had received 1,100 more letter petitions and that the Unnao survivor’s letter was being processed as per full court guidelines.
On Wednesday, the court had taken cognisance of the letter to the CJI and had sought a report from its secretary general on why it had not been brought to his notice since 17 July.
(With PTI inputs)