29/06/2019 1:32 PM IST

Pehlu Khan, Lynched To Death In 2017, Chargesheeted For 'Illegal Cattle Smuggling'

Reports suggest that while the case against Pehlu Khan will be closed, the cases against his two sons, who survived the lynching, will go on.

Cathal McNaughton / Reuters
Irshad Khan holds a photo of Pehlu Khan who was killed by cow vigilantes in 2017.

Pehlu Khan, a dairy farmer who was lynched by cow vigilantes in 2017, and his sons have been chargesheeted for allegedly transporting cattle without permission in Rajasthan. 

NDTV reported that the latest chargesheet, filed by the Ashok Gehlot-led Rajasthan government, against Khan will be closed as he has died. However, the cases against his two sons will continue. 

For the latest news and more, follow HuffPost India on TwitterFacebook, and subscribe to our newsletter.

Khan and his two sons, Irshad and Arif, were returning from a cattle fair in Jaipur to their home in Haryana when they were stopped by cow vigilantes. A video of the incident that had gone viral had shown Khan being beaten and kicked. He died in hospital two days later. 

Indian Express reported that Khan and his sons were charged under sections 5, 8 and 9 of the Rajasthan Bovine Animal (Prohibition of Slaughter and Regulation of Temporary Migration or Export) Act, 1995 and Rules, 1995.

The report said that Khan was posthumously chargesheeted on 30 December, 2018 after the Congress government came to power. 

The last two people, who were charged in the lynching of Khan, were granted bail by the Rajasthan High Court in September 2017. 

Harendra Singh, the advocate for the accused, had said that the Dayanand and Yogesh Kumar were granted bail on ground that their was was similar to the others accused.

Amir Aziz, a lawyer who has opposed the bail of another accused, Ravindra, had said, “The entire investigation has been botched by the police. Those who were named in the FIR were given a clean chit while those arrested are now being let out on bail as they are not named in the FIR.”

Khan’s wife Jaibuna had told Huffpost India that they had decided never to keep a cow or sell milk after the incident. His elder son Irshad now works as a truck driver, and the younger son Arif works as a labourer.   

“They murdered my husband. Now, they won’t even let us try and get justice. What do they want to do to us?” Jaibuna had said.