Rekha Sharma, NCW chairperson, called the tweet “disgusting” and “distasteful”. She was quoted as saying by ANI, “We would like him (Vivek Oberoi) to apologise on social media and personally also to the person concerned. If he doesn’t do, we will see what legal action can we take against him. We will be talking to Twitter to remove that tweet immediately.”
When some people said that while Oberoi’s tweet is “disgusting”, the NCW should be looking at far more important issues, Sharma said, “this is as important as my other work because unless we change the mindset of people towards women things won’t change on the ground.”
Swati Maliwal, Chairperson, Delhi Commission for Women, also called Oberoi’s tweet “crass” and “disgusting”.
“It is hardly hilarious. It’s crass, disgusting and reveals the sick mentality of its ‘creator’ @vivekoberoi. Evident that the man lacks everything - political as well as life skills,” she tweeted.
Oberoi, whose film career saw a downturn after a promising start, has been in and out of the news because he’s playing Narendra Modi in a controversial biopic based on the prime minister. The movie, whose release was stalled by the Election Commission last month, will now hit theatres on Friday, a day after election results are announced.
Oberoi has been trending on social media since he posted the tweet, in perfect time for people to recall that his first big movie in a long time is releasing this week.