NEWS
20/02/2019 1:47 PM IST | Updated 21/02/2019 10:41 AM IST

Massive Fire At Paragon's Footwear Godown In Kerala's Kochi

The fire was first reported on the fourth floor of the building and may have been caused by a short circuit, reports said.

A massive fire broke out at a six-storey footwear godown of Paragon in Kochi on Wednesday, reports said.

The fire started around 11:15 am and was brought under control after four hours, Mathrubhumi reported. 

Workers in the building, which is located near Ernakulam South railway station, and people in the neighbouring buildings were immediately evacuated, Malayala Manorama said.

Eighteen fire tenders were at the spot to douse the fire which had engulfed the entire building, Mathrubhumi said.

Fire officials had trouble bringing the blaze under control and prevent its spread to adjacent buildings, the daily said. Units from the Indian Navy and Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited provided assistance.

According to Manorama, the fire was first reported on the fourth floor of the building and may have been caused by a short circuit. Electricity supply to the area was cut off as a precaution, Manorama reported.

The report said the fire may have spread quickly because of the rubber products stored in the building which made it difficult to douse the blaze.