Amid massive outrage across the country over the Sunday’s incident that has put the Unnao rape survivor on life support, the BJP on Thursday expelled MLA Kuldeep Sengar who allegedly raped the woman, then a minor, in 2017.
NDTV reported on Thursday that Sengar had been expelled from the party.
This comes a day after confusion over Sengar’s suspension from the party. BJP Uttar Pradesh president Swatantra Dev Singh told PTI that the accused MLA had been suspended “a long time ago”. “Sengar was suspended by the party earlier and there is no change in his status,” Singh had said.
Sengar is accused of raping the girl in his home in 2017 when she was taken there on the pretext of getting a job. Sengar had also vehemently denied the charges against him when the case made headlines.
The case of the accident is being probed by the CBI. The Surpeme Court also heard the case on Thursday, and said that the probe into the ‘accident’ had to be finished in a week’s time.
Meanwhile, ANI reports that three police personnel, appointed for the woman’s security had also been suspended.
The family of the survivor had accused her security detail of passing on information to the BJP MLA, who is lodged in prison, of her whereabouts.
The police team, responsible for her security, were not accompanying her when a truck hit the car when she, her lawyer, her mother and two aunts were traveling Rae Bareili.
The incident left the survivor and the lawyer on life support and claimed the lives of the two aunts. The survivor’s family has alleged that this was a conspiracy to kill the survivor and her family.
The family of the survivor had also alleged that when they first filed a complaint against him, the MLA had threatened to kill them.
The survivor is fighting for her life at a hospital in Lucknow and the doctors have said that her condition has mildly improved.
“The rape survivor has sustained multiple fractures. Today there was very slight improvement in her condition, but this cannot be termed as satisfactory. She is still unconscious,” Dr Sandeep Tiwari, the in-charge of the hospital’s trauma centre had said on Wednesday.