It's a common shower dilemma: to use bar soap or body wash. While some are devout bar soap-ers, others prefer to lather up their loofah with just a few pumps of body wash. So which do you choose? While it can be all about preference, allow us to try to convince you to stick to the time-tested wonder that is the basic bar of soap.
First and foremost, using bar soap can benefit your body and the planet, at least according to board-certified dermatologist Dr. Susan Stuart. "Soap bars are more environmentally-friendly -- there are no plastic bottles or containers to dispose of in landfills," Dr. Stuart told The Huffington Post via email.
To be fair, bar soaps can leave behind some not-so-appealing build-up in your tub or shower. But to combat this problem, Dr. Stuart has some advice: "The best way to store used soap bars is in a tray with perforations in the base which prevents water (and bacteria) from accumulating on them."
Still not convinced? Here are six of the best bar soaps out there. Period.
1. Dove Beauty Bar. This bar is a simple classic, but it gets the job done. After a morning or evening wash, your face will instantly feel fresher and softer. $3.99/2-pack, Walgreens.com
2. SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Shea Butter Soap. The rich and creamy lather from this bar soap fills my bathroom with a warm and nutty fragrance, and the tiny flecks of vanilla bean scrub off all the dirt and grime from the day. $4.99, Ulta.com
3. Lanolin Ägg-Tväl Swedish Eggwhite Facial Soap. This retail manager with a virtually flawless complexion recently introduced the editors here to the wonders that is Swedish soap. And this brand has been a skincare staple for Swedes for over a century. If it ain't broke... $7.95, Amazon.com
4. L'Occitane Milk Shea Butter Extra Gentle Soap. No matter your skin type, this gentle bar soap is perfect for everyday use. Plus, it lasts for a long time. $7, Loccitane.com
5. Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Bar Soap. The simple fact that you can use this minty, tingly soap from head to toe should be enough reason to add it to your bathing routine. $3.99. Drbronner.com
6. Aveeno Fragrance Free Bar Soap. When it comes to washing sensitive or acne-prone skin, you can trust Aveeno. This fragrance-free bar soap cleanses without stripping skin of its natural oils. $3.29, Target.com