A total of 1,02,462 persons have been named in the additional exclusion list to the draft National Register of Citizens (NRC) published in Assam on Wednesday.
PTI reported that the the names included in the exclusion list were part of the ones who were included in the draft NRC published on 30 July, 2018, but were later found ineligible.
NDTV reported that those excluded will be notified through individual letters and and can file their claims at designated NRC Seva Kendras by 11 July.
The state coordinator of NRC said in a statement that the list was published as per provisions of Clause 5 of the Schedule of the Citizenship (Registration of Citizens and Issue of National Identity Cards) Rules 2003.
The draft NRC published last year had left out around 40 lakh people. It included the names of 2.9 crore people out of the 3.29 crore applications.
The NRC in Assam is being updated under the monitoring of the Supreme Court and the final list is scheduled to be released on 31 July.
The court had allowed five new documents to prove the legacy for the claimants — extract of names in NRC, 1951; extract/certified copy of Electoral Rolls up to the midnight of March 24, 1971 and Citizenship Certificate and refugee certificate issued by competent authority (up to 24 March, 1971 midnight).
The other two legacy documents include Certified copies of pre-1971 Electoral Roll, particularly, those issued from Tripura and the ration card.
The new draft exclusion list comes close on the heels of President Ram Nath Kovind saying that the government would remove “infiltrators” on a priority basis.
“My government has decided to implement the process of National Register of Citizens on priority basis in areas affected by infiltration,” Kovind had said in his customary address after the formation of the 17th Lok Sabha.
The President, however, did not specify in which areas the NRC will be implemented.
(with PTI inputs)