This week Time Magazine revealed their 2016 list of '100 Most Influential People.' Included are 23 "Pioneers," 15 "Titans," 18 "Artists," 31 "Leaders," and 13 "Icons." Featured here are the best quotes from today's 18 most influential artists.
1. Priyanka Chopra, Actor, "A star rising higher."
"I don't think there's only one love. Every relationship has something new to offer."
2. Yayoi Kusama, Artist, "The eternal radical."
"Every time I have had a problem, I have confronted it with the ax of art."
3. Charlize Theron, Actor and Activist, "Straight talker on HIV Prevention."
"When a person lives a happy life they become beautiful."
4. Mark Rylance, Thespian, "Muse and inspiration."
"When you're in town, wearing some kind of uniform is helpful. Policeman, priest, etcetera... At the very least, you should wear a suit and carry a briefcase and a cell phone, or a team jacket, a baseball cap and a cell phone. If you're in the woods, the back country, some place far from any human habitation, it is a good idea to wear orange and carry a gun, or depending on the season, a fishing pole or a camera with a big lens. Otherwise, it might appear that you don't know what you're doing, that you're just wandering the earth, no particular reason for being here, no particular place to go."
5. Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Actor, "Relevant as heck."
"There is sexism--I'm not denying its existence. But I'm saying that I will deny its efforts against me. I just pay it no never mind and say, 'Get out of my way.'"
6. Guo Pei, Designer, "China's hautest couturier."
"Changing your look every season to please a fickle customer isn't how I work. I aim to create heirlooms."
7. Ta-Nehisi Coates, Writer, "America's essential author."
"Racism is not merely a simplistic hatred. It is, more often, broad sympathy toward some and broader skepticism toward others."
8. Oscar Isaac, Actor, "Scene Maker."
"If you can find a way that your principles are actually the strategically smartest thing to do, you've kind of figured it out."
9. Bjarke Ingels, Architect, "Highflyer of skylines."
"I think the avant-garde often hides itself in the highly incomprehensible because they are frustrated that the real world is so boring."
10. Idris Elba, Actor, "A true leading man."
"What really excites me in a project is when it goes in a way you haven't been before."
11. Ariana Grande, Singer, "Never underestimate her."
"One of the most terrible feelings in the world is knowing that someone else doesn't like you. Especially when you don't know what you've done to deserve it."
12. Ryan Cooler, Director, "The filmmaker we need."
"I just try to make films about things that move me emotionally. You know, things that I don't have answers to. I'm trying to find answers."
13. Riccardo Tisci, Designer, "Fashion agitator."
"Seduction is about intelligence and wit. Someone who makes me laugh has every chance to seduce me."
14. Elena Ferrante, Writer, "The bard of Naples."
"What a mistake, above all, it had been to believe that I couldn't live without him, when for a long time I had not been at all certain that I was alive with him."
15. Melissa McCarthy, Actor, "Seriously funny."
"I've never felt like I needed to change... I've always thought, 'If you want someone different, pick someone else.'"
16. Taraji P. Henson, Actor, "The modern Bette Davis."
"Every human walks around with a certain kind of sadness. They may not wear it on their sleeves, but it's there if you look deep."
17. Gael García Bernal, Actor and Activist, "Committed to character."
"Life certainly points it out to you - 'you can go this way or the other way.' You have to decide and it's a very strong decision because, would you sleep well knowing that you're living in the best place, but you're letting the place where you should live alone?"
18. Kendrick Lamar, Musician, "He moves us."
"I'd rather not live like there isn't a God then die and find out there really is."