Let's face it: you want to eat well. You want to be certain that you are biting into something that will help you feel energized and healthy, won't add to your waistline, and is good for the environment. You've thought about switching to organic food, but you're not sure if eating well is worth the expense. At I Say Organic, we believe organic food is not only better for you, it's better for the earth and the farmers who grow it. In honour of World Environment Day, a celebration of awareness and action for a sustainable planet, here are 10 reasons why we think going organic means you're getting what you pay for.
1) It's better for your health. Organic means zero chemicals and pesticides. Over 70 types of chemicals, many banned in other countries, are used in India to grow, protect, or ripen crops, and are found in unhealthy levels in the foods you buy.
2) It's better for the farmer's health too. The increase in chemical farming has led to a serious rise in health problems for farmers. That's why farmers are increasingly switching to organic food for their families.
3) It's better for the planet. Organic farming produces up to 30% less carbon emissions than chemical farming, helping to reduce global warming.
4) Do it for the kids. Children are especially vulnerable to unhealthy levels of pesticides in food, which can lead to long-term health problems.
5) And do it for the soil. Chemical farming destroys the health of the soil and everything living in it, which requires more and more intensive practices to get the same result.
6) Make farming sustainable. If farmers need to pump more and more chemicals into infertile soil, they can be trapped in a cycle of increasing costs and diminishing returns, making it impossible to farm. Organic farming means farmers can save on costly inputs and sustain their livelihoods.
7) Do it for biodiversity. Chemical farming relies on monoculture hybrid crops engineered and patented by large agribusinesses. Organic farmers work to save and grow local, desi varieties that are suited to local conditions.
8) And do it for flavour! The world's best chefs consistently search for organic, local foods because they feel they have more flavour. Cook with organic food and bring a taste of the gourmet to your own kitchen!
9) Keep it clean. When fruits and vegetables are grown without chemicals, you can feel good about using the whole produce, skin and all. So whip up some delicious fruit and vegetable juices or smoothies to get a full dose of health!
10) Make an investment in the future. The more people choose organic, the more farmers are willing to grow it. The more farmers grow, the lower the price, and the more sustainable and healthy the land they grow your food on becomes. Choosing organic is an investment in healthy, affordable food for everyone.
Contact HuffPost India