Amid sexual harassment and rape accusations against several actors and filmmakers, the Producers Guild of India has said in a statement that it extended complete support to the #MeTo movement. The statement said that the guild, in light of the accusations, would set up a committee to ensure the safety of those who work on film sets and outside.
The statement read, "We are instituting a committee within the Guild to lead this effort, and we are determined to stay the course till workplaces in the industry are safe places for everyone."
Several men in positions of power within the film industry have been accused of sexual harassment and even rape.
Filmmaker Vinta Nanda shared a Facebook post on Monday accusing actor Alok Nath of rape. She hadn't named the actor in the post, but has since confirmed that the perpetrator was Nath.
Nanda's horrific account drew criticism of Nath, who has made the most bizarre comments on the allegations. He said he neither accepted nor denied the allegations and added that the incident may have occurred but someone else must have been involved.
Nanda has since spoken to the media:
Actor Rajat Kapoor was accused by two women, a journalist and a assistant director, of sexual harassment after which his film Khadak was dropped from the Mumbai film festival.
On Saturday, HuffPost India published a detailed account of a survivor who accused Queen director Vikas Bahl of sexually assaulting her in 2015. Since then Queen actors Kangana Ranaut and Rajkummar Rao, Hrithik Roshan and others have spoken out against the director. Phantom Films was dissolved the night before the HuffPost India interview was published, perhaps in anticipation of it.
Earlier this month, actor Tanushree Dutta had accused Nana Patekar of harassing her on the sets of Horn Ok Pleassss. Patekar has since denied the allegations.