After HuffPost India published a detailed account of a woman who was sexually assaulted by Queen director Vikas Bahl in 2015, more women are coming out with their stories of harassment and assault. On Monday, filmmaker Vinta Nanda broker her silence on her assault and rape . While she did not name the actor in her post, certain sentences and incidents that she described made it clear that she was accusing Alok Nath of having raped her.
Nanda, describing the harrowing incident, wrote in a Facebook post:
"I was invited to a party to this mans house, his wife, my best friend was out of town. It was usual for our group of friends from theatre to meet regularly so there was nothing unusual about my going to the party.
As the evening flowed, my drinks were mixed and I began to feel strange. Then at around 2am I left his house.
Nobody followed me or offered to drop me home, which was what was rather unusual. All I knew at the time was that I had to get home. I could sense it wouldn't be right for me to stay there any longer.
I started to walk home on the empty streets although the distance to my own house was long. Midway I was accosted by this man who was driving his own car and he asked me to sit in it and said he would drop me home.
I trusted him and sat in his car. I have faint memory after that.
I can remember more liquor being poured into my mouth and I remember being violated endlessly. When I woke up the next afternoon, I was in pain. I hadn't just been raped, I was taken to my own house and had been brutalised. I couldn't get up for my bed."
While Nanda did not name Nath, she said in her post "Irony is that the man, the predator in question here is the actor par excellence who is known as the most #Sanskaari (Cultured) person in the film and television industry."
Nanda confirmed to IANS, "It is Alok Nath. I thought saying 'sanskaari' would do the needful."
Alok Nath is jokingly called the most "sanskaari" actor in Bollywood due to his roles as the honest, doting father in movies such as Hum Aapke Hain Koun and Vivah.
Nanda alleged that Nath would harass the lead actor of Tara and no one would do anything about it. She said in her post that he even got her sacked when she complained.
In her post, Nanda said, "I have waited for this moment to come for 19 years. I shout out to each one of you who have suffered at the hands of predators to come out and say it aloud."
Read her entire story here:
Several actors have come out in support of Nanda. Swara Bhaskar and Richa Chadha said:
Heart wrenching. 😢😢😢😢 https://t.co/myVEYDAfTu— Swara Bhasker (@ReallySwara) October 8, 2018
The Cine And TV Artistes' Association (CINTAA) reacted to the accusations saying that Nath would be sent a show cause notice to explain his actions.
Actor Sushant Singh who is a CINTAA official urged Nanda to file a complaint.
Dear @vintananda I am so so sorry. As @CintaaOfficial a show-cause Notice will be sent to @aloknath first thing in the mrng, why he shudnt b expld. Unfortunately we've to follow the due process. I urge u to file a complaint against this vile creature, we extend u full support.— sushant singh (@sushant_says) October 8, 2018