03/07/2018 11:09 AM IST | Updated 03/07/2018 11:15 AM IST

Dhule Lynching: Bodies Were Handed Over To Us Only After The Mob Ensured They Were Dead, Say Police

The families of the victims have refused to accept the bodies demanding justice.

- via Getty Images
Relatives of those murdered in the Maharastra lynching incident being led away from the crime scene area by villagers in Dhule district.

The families of the five men killed by a lynch mob in Maharastra's Dhule district have refused to accept the bodies of the deceased and held a protest seeking justice.

Reports suggest that the incident has created fear among the Dawari Gosavi community, which is a nomadic tribe, to which all the five men belonged.

The Indian Express reported that more than 500 people outside the circle office of Dhule asked for justice, even as the families said that they will not accept the bodies.

The report said that while local politicians spoke to the community elders, they said that the people of the Dawari Gosavi community have traditionally sought alms, but they are now scared to do so after the incident.

The Hindu reported that 23 people had been arrested in connection with the lynching.

Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis announced a compensation of Rs. 5 lakh for the kin of each person killed in the lynching while asking people to not pay heed to rumours circulated on social media.

Maharashtra DGP Datta Padsalgikar also requested people to not believe in such rumours and asked people to reach out to the police in case another such incident comes to light.

Residents of the tribal village of Rainpada in Sakri taluka attacked the victims as they got off from a state transport bus. The villagers, who were visiting the Sunday market, allegedly attacked them when one of the five men tried to speak to a girl from the village.

Another report in The Indian Express says that while the police tried to control the situation, the mob did not pay heed.

"They were over 3,500 and we were just eight. When we learnt that two were still alive, we pleaded that we be allowed to take them to a hospital. They did not agree and handed over the bodies only after being satisfied that none was alive," a police personnel told The Indian Express.