The red carpet was filled with white roses and Time’s Up pins during the 2018 Grammy Awards on Sunday night.
Everyone from Lady Gaga to Sam Smith wore a white rose as a sign of support for the Time’s Up initiative against workplace sexual harassment and assault. Others including Janelle Monáe sported a black-and-white Time’s Up pin in a show of solidarity with the initiative.
“It represents hope and peace and sympathy and resistance, and I thought those were very lovely things for every human to encompass and to also share with others,” singer Kelly Clarkson said on the red carpet about the symbolism of the white rose.
A group called Voices in Entertainment came up with the idea for celebrities to wear white roses on the red carpet. The group includes over a dozen women in entertainment including Meg Harkins, senior vice president of marketing at Roc Nation, and Karen Rait, head of rhythmic promotion at Interscope/Geffen/A&M Records.
“We choose the white rose because historically it stands for hope, peace, sympathy and resistance,” the group wrote in a recent letter to celebrities.
“Women make up 51 percent of the workforce and it’s about time that we’re paid equal,” singer Cyndi Lauper said on the red carpet. “Equality and power in the workforce would help not just women but men too.”
The Time’s Up pin, which many celebrities also wore at the Golden Globes, was created by actress Reese Witherspoon and stylist Arianne Phillips in December. Phillips told The Hollywood Reporter that the idea for the pins came out of an initial Time’s Up brainstorming meeting with actresses, producers and others in the industry.
“I met so many great women, and it was such an honor to be called to action,” Phillips said.
The Time’s Up initiative, which was announced on New Year’s Day, consists of more than 300 women in television, film and theater. The project, inspired by the #MeToo movement, hopes to combat sexual misconduct in all workplaces by creating a legal defense fund to help less-privileged women come forward with their stories.
Scroll below to see more stars wearing white roses and Time’s up pins.
- 1Andrew Taggart and Alex Pall of The ChainsmokersJamie McCarthy via Getty Images
- 2Lady GagaANGELA WEISS via Getty Images
- 3Ne-YoMike Coppola via Getty Images
- 4Cardi BKevin Mazur via Getty Images
- 5Ryan SeacrestMike Coppola via Getty Images
- 6Janelle MonaeANGELA WEISS via Getty Images
- 7Kelly ClarksonKevin Mazur via Getty Images
- 8James CordenSteve Granitz via Getty Images
- 9P!nk and her daughter Willow Sage HartJohn Shearer via Getty Images
- 10KhalidJamie McCarthy via Getty Images
- 11Imagine Dragons (Ben McKee, Daniel Platzman, Dan Reynolds and Wayne Sermon)Lester Cohen via Getty Images
- 12Alessia CaraJamie McCarthy via Getty Images
- 13Composer Benjamin WallfischMike Coppola via Getty Images
- 14Nick JonasAndrew Kelly / Reuters
- 15Reba McEntire and Anthony 'Skeeter' LasuzzoSteve Granitz via Getty Images
- 16Lana Del ReyLester Cohen via Getty Images
- 17JainMike Coppola via Getty Images
- 18Meli'sa MorganSteve Granitz via Getty Images
- 19Sarah SilvermanSteve Granitz via Getty Images
- 20Shaggy and StingKevin Mazur via Getty Images
- 21SZALester Cohen via Getty Images
- 22Giuliana RancicDimitrios Kambouris via Getty Images
- 23Anna KendrickDimitrios Kambouris via Getty Images
- 24Camila CabelloKevin Mazur via Getty Images
- 25Bebe RexhMike Coppola via Getty Images
- 26Rita OraKevin Mazur via Getty Images
- 27Heidi KlumLester Cohen via Getty Images
- 28Cyndi LauperAndrew Kelly / Reuters
- 29Ben PlattANGELA WEISS via Getty Images
- 30Little Big TownAndrew Kelly / Reuters
- 31Trevor NoahLester Cohen via Getty Images
- 32Andra DaySteve Granitz via Getty Images
- 33Julia MichaelsSteve Granitz via Getty Images
- 34Miley CyrusChristopher Polk via Getty Images
- 35Zayn MalikSteve Granitz via Getty Images
- 36KeshaSteve Granitz via Getty Images