14/01/2018 2:33 PM IST | Updated 14/01/2018 2:49 PM IST

Temple Priest's Daughter Allegedly Gang Raped And Murdered In Meerut

Local residents staged protests on Saturday. 

Getty Images/iStockphoto
Dead woman lying on the floor under white cloth with focus on hand

More than two weeks after the daughter of a temple priest went missing from Ghaziabad, her mutilated body has been found in a sugarcane field in the neighboring district of Meerut.

The 15-year-old was allegedly kidnapped, gang raped and murdered.

The Times of India reported that the Class X student's body bore marks of torture with cigarette butts.

Bipin Kumar, a neighbor, toldThe Indian Express, "Her father, a local priest, went with police to Meerut. He could not identify her as her face was swollen. She was identified by her mother."

The teenager's father claimed that the police did not act on the complaint which he filed shortly after his daughter went missing on the evening of 26th December from the Modi Nagar area of Ghaziabad.

"Some youths had abducted my daughter. I had got a complaint registered at the Modinagar police station and also produced a mobile number of one the kidnappers, but the police didn't take any effort to trace them," the father told TOI.

The Indian Express reported that Modi Nagar Deputy Superintendent of Police has been transferred and the local police station in-charge suspended for dereliction of duty.

Arvind Kumar Maurya, the superintendent of police in rural Ghaziabad, said that the body has been sent for an autopsy and several teams have been formed to investigate the case.

Both newspapers reported that the deceased had tried to conceal a mobile phone from her family before she disappeared.

Kumar, the neighbor, told IE, "Her mother caught talking on the phone. She asked her how she got the phone, and the girl told her a friend had given it to her. She was beaten up by her mother, who threw the phone into the toilet. A day later, the girl stepped out of the house, where a tap is set up. People thought she had gone to wash her hands, but a while later, she disappeared."

The mother told TOI that the girl had taken the SIM out of the phone and destroyed it.

Local residents staged protests on Saturday.