Rajasthan High Court judge on Wednesday stirred a hornet's nest when he suggested that the cow should be made the national animal and slaughter of a cow should warrant a death penalty.
"It is the voice of my soul, your soul, everybody's soul. Law has stemmed from 'dharma' (religion) and not vice-versa," Justice Mahesh Chand Sharma told a news channel.
When a reporter asked him for the rationale behind declaring cow slaughter a heinous crime, he replied,"There cannot be a more heinous crime than this. Cow is like mother. She saves people from different diseases."
Not only did the judgement cause a controversy, but Justice Sharma's "heartfelt" statement as to the benefits of cow dung and cow urine listed in the official judgement dated 31 May 2017, and uploaded on Rajasthan High Court's official website, added a whole lot of hilarity to the subject.
Here are a few gems:
- 33 crore gods and goddesses reside inside the cow and that's why a cow is considered 'vishva mata' (world's mother).
- The cow appeared on the earth along with goddess Lakshmi during the churning of ocean in Hindu mythology.
- Cow is the only animal which inhales as well as exhales oxygen.
- The cow's body is a hospital in itself.
- A German scientist has found out that cow has "cosmic energy" between its horns.
He then went on to list the benefits of cow dung and cow urine:
- 'Gomutra' (cow's urine) can get rid of any bad bacteria as well as diseases.
- Cow urine, when consumed by humans, cleans our liver and improves immunity.
- It is filled with nutrients.
- It stops people from ageing.
- It is good for the heart as well as the brain.
- The river Ganga resides in cow urine, and thus it has the power to absolve one of all sins.
- Cow's milk is equivalent to 'amrit' (potion that makes one immortal)
- A Russian scientist has found out that if cow dung is slathered all over the house, it can protect a person from radioactive waves.
- Cow dung can help with the waste management in big cities.
In fact, Justice Sharma also told the news channel that the peacock is a "bramhachari" (virgin). He added that peacocks and peahens don't have sex, and that peahens get pregnant by drinking the tears of the peacocks.
You can read the entire judgement here.
Also On HuffPost: