Delhi's Miranda House is the best college in India, according to government rankings of educational institutions released today. Bengaluru's Indian Institute of Science was ranked as the best university in the country.
Delhi's Jawaharlal Nehru University was ranked second among universities while Banaras Hindu University secured the third position. Loyola College in Chennai and Delhi's Shri Ram College of Commerce were ranked the second and third-best colleges in India.
IIT-Madras was ranked as the top engineering school while Jamia Hamdard earned the spot for the best pharmacy institute. IIM Ahmedabad was ranked as the best management college in the country. Seven IITs made it to the top 10 in the overall ranking category.
The rankings were made under five heads -- overall, university, engineering, management and pharmacy. Launched in 2015, NIRF is a methodology adopted by the HRD Ministry to rank all institutions of higher education in India. The rankings are important as government funding for institutions are dependent on them. Over 3,300 institutes participated in the second edition of the India Rankings.
A lot of prominent colleges like Delhi's St Stephen's College, Hindu College, Delhi School of Economics, Ramjas College and Hansraj College did not apply this year.
The top colleges are:
- Miranda House, Delhi
- Loyola College, Chennai
- Sri Ram College of Commerce, Delhi
- Bishop Heber College, Tiruchipalli
- Atma Ram Sanatan Dharma College, Delhi
- St Xavier's College, Kolkata
- Lady Sri Ram College for Women, Delhi
- Dyal Singh College, Delhi
- Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College, Delhi
- The Women's Christian College, Chennai
The top universities are:
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi
- Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bengaluru
- Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Anna University, Chennai
- University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad
- University of Delhi, Delhi
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore
- Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
The top educational institutes in the 'overall' category are as follows:
- IISc Bangalore
- IIT Madras
- IIT Bombay
- IIT Kharagpur
- IIT Delhi
- Jawaharlal Nehru University
- IIT Kanpur
- IIT Guwahati
- IIT Roorkee
- Banaras Hindu University
Also on HuffPost India