In a surprising turn of events, a 17-year-old boy who had been presumed dead, woke up on the way to his funeral. Kumar Marewad, a school dropout who worked as a construction labourer, is now undergoing treatment at a private hospital, where his condition is reported to be critical.
According to the News Minute, Marewad, a resident of Managundi village in Karnataka's Dharwad district, was bitten by a stray dog a month ago and was down with high fever last week. As his health began to deteriorate, he was admitted to a hospital and put on a ventilator support. Marewad's family was reportedly informed by the doctors that an infection had spread in his body and his chances of survival were slim.
The family then decided to discontinue his medical treatment and take him home. "We had decided to take Kumar home after doctors told us his chances of survival were bleak once taken off the ventilator," Marewad's brother-in-law Sharanappa Naikar told the Times of India.
On reaching home, family members reportedly noticed no body movement and assumed that he had died. They began preparing for his funeral.
Once arrangements had been made, Marewad's family carried his 'body' to perform the last rites. The group had hardly proceeded two kilometers from their house when, to their shock, he opened his eyes and started moving his arms and legs. The family immediately took him to a nearby hospital.
Dr Mahesh Neelakhantannavar later told TOI that Marewad has again been put on ventilator and that he suffers from meningoencephalitis, an infection caused due to dog bite.
Also on HuffPost India