In a shocking tragedy in Delhi, a couple, who are originally residents of Bhind, Madhya Pradesh, was electrocuted by its e-rickshaw when one of them touched the vehicle while its batteries were being charged, reports said.
The incident took place in Mubarakpur, in Aman Vihar, in outer Delhi, where the victims, Sarla (40) and Yogendra (42), lived with their son and daughter-in-law. On Saturday night, Sarla had called Yogendra for dinner, as he was standing outside their home and charging the e-rickshaw. Instead of going in, he asked for the food to be brought to him.
After handing him his plate, she leaned on the vehicle and was hit by the direct current. As she fell unconscious, Yogendra tried to pull her away, not realising that her body was still in contact with the rickshaw, and was also electrocuted. The accident came to their daughter-in-law's notice, who alerted the son. The couple were taken to a hospital, where they were declared brought dead.
Police sources told Hindustan Timesthat an initial probe suggest electricity leaking out of the battery of the rickshaw "because of some defects in the electric wire used to charge the battery". Their bodies have been sent for post-mortem.
Also on HuffPost: