22/09/2016 8:57 AM IST | Updated 22/09/2016 9:32 AM IST

Delhi Stalker Who Stabbed Woman 30 Times Had Threatened Her Earlier By Slicing Her Purse

Victim's family staged a protest against police for not being "proactive in their investigation."

Times Now video

NEW DELHI -- The family of a 21-year-old woman, who was stabbed to death with a single blade of scissors in broad daylight by her 34-year-old stalker in north Delhi's Burari area, staged a protest against police for not being "proactive in their investigation" before cremating her yesterday.

Karuna Kumar was cremated at the Nigambodh Ghat by her family members. But before they reached the cremation ground, they staged a protest at Burari Chowk by keeping her body on the road and holding up traffic around 2 pm.

Police said they were able to pacify the family members after some time.

"Police hasn't even called the man who was accompanying Surender when he came to stab Karuna. They haven't questioned other people whom Surender might have spoken to in the 24 hours leading up to the attack. He used to get to know everything about Karuna which means someone who stays in our area in Sant Nagar was helping him," said Vinay, the girl's uncle.

Meanwhile, accused Surender told police that he had met Karuna at GTB Nagar Metro Station, an hour before he killed her, and they had an argument.

"He said he had initially threatened her with the single blade of scissors by stabbing her bag but when she dared him, he lost his temper and stabbed her multiple times mercilessly," said a senior police officer.

The accused also said that after killing Karuna, he had made a PCR call to inform the police.

This claim is currently being investigated, said the officer.

The accused continued to maintain that he was angry after he saw some pictures of Karuna with another man and even as he tried to speak to her, she kept ignoring him, added the officer.

Police will be questioning the accused to find out if someone else was also involved along with him.

A Delhi court on Wednesday sent Surender to four days in police custody.

The incident drew outrage as CCTV footage of the frenzied stabbing was aired by media, prompting the Centre to seek a report from the Delhi Police.

Also on HuffPost India.

Photo galleryIndians Protest Against Rape See Gallery