The arrival of the country's latest mobile service provider, Reliance Jio, and their aggressive offers are likely to spark hitherto unseen competition and price wars among India's telcos. Consumers are likely to be bombarded with attractive schemes and offers. If you think that a particular operator's plan is better than your current operator's tariff plan, you can switch sides without changing numbers.
Mobile Number Portability was implemented in India in 2011. It allows the users to change their network operator without changing the number. Recent changes in the MNP even allows customers to port their numbers across the states. Here are the steps to follow for porting your number.
1. Visit an outlet of the telco to whom you want to port your current number.
2. Obtain Customer Acquisition Form (CAF) and Porting form.
3. To get the Unique porting code, SMS "PORT" to 1900.
4. Within seconds you will get a porting code. Fill both forms using that code.
5. Submit supporting documents such as identity and address proofs.
6. Get a new SIM card from the new operator.
The operator will guide you with activation process and the probable date of the activation. Ideally, this process doesn't take more than a few days.
Usually once your current operator gets your porting code request, they will call you to figure out why you are leaving the network and what they can do to keep you. This is a good opportunity to negotiate for better plans, discounts etc, if you are thus inclined.
A porting code is valid only for 15 days. Also once you join a new network, you cannot port again for another three months. You must also clear all your current dues before porting your number to another network.
Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has detailed out the whole procedure on their website.
Good luck with getting the best possible deals out of our telcos.