09/07/2016 4:46 PM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:27 AM IST

Nine Dead In Kashmir As Protests Over Burhan Wani's Killing Turn Violent

SAJJAD QAYYUM via Getty Images
Pakistani Kashmiris burn the Indian flag during a protest against the killing of Burhan Muzaffar Wani, a top rebel commander, in Muzaffarabad, the capital of Pakistan-administered Kashmir on July 9, 2016. A top commander from the largest rebel group in Indian-administered Kashmir was killed in a gun battle with government forces on July 8, police said. Young and media savvy, Burhan Wani was a top figure in Hizbul Mujahideen and had a one million rupee ($14,900) bounty on his head. Wani, 22, joined the rebel movement at the age of 15 and in recent years had been behind a huge recruitment drive to the group's ranks, attracting young and educated Kashmiris to the decades-old fight for independence of the restive disputed region. Viewed locally as a hero, his death sparked protests in nearby Anantnag town, with hundreds taking to the streets shouting independence slogans and lauding Wani as a revolutionary, witnesses said. / AFP / SAJJAD QAYYUM (Photo credit should read SAJJAD QAYYUM/AFP/Getty Images)

Nine people were killed and 126, including 96 security forces personnel, were injured today as mob violence and clashes rocked Kashmir over the gunning down of militant commander Burhan Wani even as authorities imposed curfew-like restrictions and suspended mobile internet services to contain the volatile situation.

Amarnath Yatra was also suspended in view of the worsening situation, with police saying it will be resumed "as soon as it is possible to ensure security of yatris".

As Burhan, the poster boy of Hizbul Mujahideen militant outfit, was laid to rest in his native place Tral, violent mobs attacked installations of police and paramilitary forces at various places in the Valley and set ablaze several buildings including three police installations, as a result of which three cops were missing.

Burhan's funeral was attended by thousands of people.

There was no deployment of security forces in Tral and adjoining areas to avoid a confrontation with the people coming to participate in the funeral.

"We have had a very difficult day today," said ADGP (CID) of J&K Police S M Sahai while describing the situation "bad in certain segments", "not critical" in areas like north Kashmir and under control in Srinagar.

Nine people were killed in the clashes between violent protestors and security forces at various places in the valley that erupted a day after Burhan's killing.

Eight of them were killed in "retaliatory" action by security forces, Sahai said, adding one person died due to drowning.

The militants are trying to "superimpose their attacks" on public protests, he said while informing that there was also a militant attack on District Police Lines in Pulwama which the security forces thwarted.

The camps at Sangam, Larnoo, Seer, Gopalpora, Minority camp Mattan, Kokernag, Dooru and Janglat Mandi were also attacked by the protestors, he said.

"It is very unfortunate that young lives were lost in clashes," Sahai said while addressing a press conference on the situation.

He appealed to the parents to restrain their children from participating in such protests so that young lives are not lost.

Replying to a volley of questions, including why Burhan was not caught alive instead of being gunned down, Sahai said, "We certainly don't want to kill youngsters of our own society."

He said the Hizb commander and two others got killed when security forces retaliated after being fired upon by the trio from a house in which they were hiding. Two security personnel were injured in that firing, he added.

Contact HuffPost India

Also See On HuffPost:

Photo gallery India's LGBT Movement: A Timeline See Gallery