NEW DELHI -- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Friday told Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's Art of Living (AOL) foundation's to deposit Rs. 25 lakhs today and the balance amount of the penalty of Rs. five crores issued for the World Culture Festival within three weeks.
Here are the major developments that took place on Friday:
- Art of Living tells the tribunal that it can deposit Rs. 25 lakhs today and the balance amount within three weeks. The NGT accepts it.
- The NGT tells AOL if they fail to pay up then the tribunal will attach the grant which Culture Ministry is supposed to pay to AOL. The next hearing is scheduled for April 4.
- The NGT asks the foundation the amount of money which it can deposit today? 'It's not a penalty but environment compensation', the NGT said.
- The NGT says all authorities (CBCB, DPCC, MOEF) have to ensure no pollution is spread in Yamuna.
- The tribunal accepts undertaking given by the foundation.
- The NGT tells the foundation that if anybody hurts the image of the tribunal, they would take it to a logical conclusion as per rule of law.
- The NGT asks the AOL if it was correct that its founder made a statement that you will not pay Rs. five crores fine and rather go to jail.
- Reacting to the statement made by Sri Sri, the NGT says such a statement is not expected from a person of high stature like that of AOL founder.
- The NGT warns the foundation not to make the tribunal a subject of controversy.
- The AOL tells the tribunal that they have permission from the fire department.
The NGT had on Wednesday cleared the three-day festival on the Yamuna floodplains but rebuked the organizers and the government for failing to take enough precaution to protect the venue's ecosystem.
Also On HuffPost: