05/03/2016 12:52 PM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:26 AM IST

JNU Row: Police Asks Authorities To Keep Them Informed About Kanhaiya's Movement

Hindustan Times via Getty Images
NEW DELHI, INDIA - MARCH 4: JNUSU President Kanhaiya Kumar during the press conference at JNU campus on March 4, 2016 in New Delhi, India. Kanhaiya Kumar was granted interim bail for six months by the Delhi High Court after spending 20 days in jail. Kumar was arrested on February 12 on charges of sedition and criminal conspiracy after alleged anti-national slogans were raised on the JNU campus on February 9.(Photo by Sanjeev Verma/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

NEW DELHI -- As part of efforts to provide foolproof security to JNUSU president Kanhaiya Kumar, Delhi Police has asked University authorities to inform them about the student leader's movements outside the campus and nature of his visits.

In a letter to University authorities sent after Kumar's release from jail, DCP (South) Prem Nath wrote that the SHO of Vasant Kunj (North) Police Station, which has the campus under its jurisdiction, should be informed well in time about "the movements/visits of Kumar outside the campus, including nature of visit and travel mode so that necessary security/preventive measures may be taken to prevent any untoward incident".

A police source said the move comes in view of the court's directive after the attack on Kumar at Patiala House court complex on 17 February, which said police must ensure that none of the students arrested in connection with the sedition case suffer even a scratch.

The latest letter suggests that a police team will be moving around with Kumar every time he moves out of the varsity's campus.

The police also ensured full security to Kanhaiya on Thursday, when he was released from jail on conditional bail, and deployed multiple escort teams to make sure that he reaches the campus safe.

Kumar was arrested on 12 February in a case of sedition registered over an event in which anti-national slogans were allegedly raised.

The event was held on 9 February inside the JNU campus, to protest against the hanging of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.

The FIR was registered two days later taking suo motu cognisance of a video clip obtained from a Hindi news channel.

Around 10 days after Kumar's arrest, two more students Umar Khalid and Anirban Bhattacharya, who were accused in the same case, surrendered.

The duo is presently in judicial custody.

Like Us On Facebook |
Follow Us On Twitter |
Contact HuffPost India

Also see on HuffPost:

JNU Unrest

More On This Topic