21/02/2016 11:16 AM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:26 AM IST

Another Army Officer Dies In Pampore Attack; Death Toll Rises To 6

STRDEL via Getty Images
Kashmiri residents run to safety after being rescued from a building taken over by suspected militants during clashes in the Sempora area of Pampore, some 15 kms south of Srinagar on February 20, 2016. Gunmen attacked a paramilitary convoy in restive Indian-administered Kashmir February 20, killing two soldiers before entering a government-run training institute with 100 people inside, police said, with firing still ongoing. The militants, believed to be rebels opposed to Indian rule, assaulted a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) convoy before paramilitaries engaged them in a firefight in the complex on the outskirts of Srinagar. AFP PHOTO / STR / AFP / STRDEL (Photo credit should read STRDEL/AFP/Getty Images)

New Delhi: One more Army officer was killed on Sunday in the ongoing encounter between terrorists and security forces in J&K's Pampore, taking the death toll to 6.

Captain Tushar Mahajan from Udhampur, from the elite Para unit, succumbed to his injuries in the ongoing operation that started on Saturday.

According to an official, one militant has also been killed in the encounter.

Earlier on Sunday, a captain from the elite Para unit who was injured in the encounter lost his life.

Captain Pawan Kumar, a young officer from Haryana's Jind area, sustained grievous injuries in militant firing as security forces tried to make their way into the building in the wee hours of Sunday, an Army official said.

He said the injured officer succumbed to injuries later.

As the security forces exchanged heavy gunfire with the holed up militants, another soldier from the Para unit, Om Prakash, was injured and taken to 92 Base Hospital of the Army at Badamibagh Cantonment where he succumbed.

Two CRPF jawans and a civilian were killed and nine other jawans injured when militants opened fire on a CRPF convoy yesterday afternoon. The ultras then took shelter inside the EDI building, triggering a stand-off.

Nearly 100 civilians -- staff and students of Entrepreneurship Development Institute (EDI) -- were evacuated to safety by the security forces from the building, a police official said.

He said the operation might be prolonged as militants seem to be heavily armed.

The open structure of the building where the militants are hiding also poses a difficulty to the security forces in advancing towards it, he added.

Also Read: Militants Attack CRPF Convoy In J&K, 2 Jawans Killed

Like Us On Facebook |
Follow Us On Twitter |
Contact HuffPost India

Also On HuffPost:

Iconic Moments Captured From 15 Years of Lakmé Fashion Week

More On This Topic