No action has been taken against a Delhi lawyer photographed beating up a man at the premises of the Patiala House Court yesterday during the hearing of Jawaharlal Nehru University students' union leader Kanhaiya Kumar's sedition case.
Chauhan told NDTV on Tuesday that he did in fact arrange a protest against "anti-nationals", after photos emerged of him and his colleagues pummelling a man at the court. But the lawyer claimed that students from JNU were the first to start the fight.
"We asked them to vacate seats for elderly lawyers. They asked me for my I-card. I said you want to divide Kashmir and Kerala, they said they were never a part of India," he said.
Over 100 JNU students and teachers were in court, some even dressed as lawyers: Lawyer Vikram Singh Chauhan to NDTV pic.twitter.com/M0HduWVIwy— NDTV (@ndtv) February 16, 2016
They (JNU students and teachers) had taken up all seats in court, refused to vacate for elderly lawyers: Lawyer Vikram Singh Chauhan to NDTV— NDTV (@ndtv) February 16, 2016
Even though Delhi police registered two FIRs in connection with the attacks on journalists and students and teachers of JNU at the Patiala House court, Chauhan, along with BJP MLA OP Sharma, who were seen assaulting people at the venue, have been spared.
They are not only roaming free but have also shown no regret for their action. Sharma brazenly told reporters that he would not hesitate to shoot any person who insulted India.
Chauhan's Facebook page is full of his photos with leaders from BJP and various events of the ruling party that is spearheading the campaign against those who supposedly raised anti-India slogans at the university last week. The police have booked two persons -- Kumar and former Delhi University professor SAR Geelani -- on sedition charges.
NDTV said Chauhan denied any political allegiance but "he regularly sends out invitations on WhatsApp to BJP events".
It evoked strong reactions from users on Twitter.
So this Vikram Singh Chauhan is Lawyer?#BJPKeGunde— Aliuddin (@AliuddinAquil) February 16, 2016
Vikram Singh Chauhan, one of those who were beating ppl yesterday outside Patiala HC, with some very known faces 🙏 pic.twitter.com/oCewTeOeiT— कोमल :) (@Komal_Indian) February 16, 2016
Vikram Singh Chauhan who lead mob yesterday— Kaveeta Jaain (@KaveetaJaain) February 16, 2016
Do V need More Proof that "Violence hai Jahan BJP Hai Wahan" pic.twitter.com/OnNegNBisn
Also on HuffPost:
- Princess Juliana International Airport, Saint MartinAero Icarus/Flickr
- Ibrahim Nasir International Airport, Maldivesbpreece/Flickr
- Tenzing-Hillary Airport, Nepalterbeck/Flickr
- Agatti Aerodrome, LakshwadeepYoutube
- Paro Airport, Bhutanshrimpo1967/Flickr
- Kansai International Airport, JapanASSOCIATED PRESS
- Gibraltar International Airport, GibraltarOli Scarff via Getty Images
- Gisborne Airport, New ZealandPortlyman/ Wikipedia
- Kushok Bakula Rinpoche Airport, LehcaffeineAM/Flickr
- Denver International AirportWarzauWynn/Flickr
- Ice Runway, Antarcticaeliduke/Flickr
- Courchevel Altiport, Francepr1001/Flickr