09/02/2016 9:49 PM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:26 AM IST

Teacher, Owner Of School Arrested For Beating 12-Year-Old Boy To Death In Bengal

John Rensten via Getty Images
hands holding letters spelling words

New Delhi -- In yet another case of cruelty against school children, an eighth standard student at a residential school in West Bengal's Murshidabad district died on Tuesday after he was allegedly beaten up by teachers for venturing out of the school premises, according to a report.

The incident occurred at the Al-Islamia Mission near Dak Bungalow More. “Two teachers were arrested in this connection,” PTI reported, quoting police.

In 2013, a teacher was arrested in West Bengal for allegedly killing a class III student by banging his head against the wall for playing with another student in the classroom. Late last month, the Delhi government ordered a probe and accused the school authorities of criminal negligence after a six-year old Ryan International School student was found dead in the school’s water tank.

According to the police complaint, 12-year-old Shamim Malik was beaten mercilessly by the headmaster of the school, Halif Sheikh, and warden Liton Sheikh after he met his parents outside the school on Monday evening.

The child was rushed to a hospital where he died in the morning.

"On the basis of the complaint, we have arrested both the headmaster and warden of the school. They are being interrogated," Superintendent of Police, C Sudhakar told PTI.

The parents alleged that their son was beaten only because he had met them outside the school without seeking permission.

"He had come to meet me to collect some things that I had purchased for him. We want justice for my boy," Shamina Bibi, the mother of the deceased student said.

The student’s father, Julhas Malik, claimed that the school teachers tried to hush up the matter and informed him of hospitalisation only after his son’s condition worsened. He alleged that the school authorities told her that Malik had fallen ill, but that he was sure that the kid was mercilessly beaten up by his teachers.

Following the incident, protesters blocked roads and staged a demonstration demanding exemplary punishment for the teachers. The arrested duo was presented before a court which remanded them to three days police custody.