20/12/2015 2:30 PM IST | Updated 29/08/2016 7:42 PM IST

Nirbhaya Case: People Gather At Jantar Mantar To Protest Against Release Of Juvenile

Hindustan Times via Getty Images
NEW DELHI, INDIA - DECEMBER 16: People lit candles and held solidarity marches in remembrance of the horrific December 16 Delhi gang-rape that shook the nation at the munirka bus stand where she boarded that bus on the second anniversary on December 16, 2014 in New Delhi, India. On December 16, 2012, a 23-year-old physiotherapy student was brutally gang raped and by six men, including a juvenile, in a bus. (Photo by Sanjeev Verma/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

NEW DELHI -- People gathered in large numbers at the Jantar Mantar on Sunday in the national capital to protest against the release of the juvenile convict in the December 16 gang rape case.

A large number of students have gathered to express their dissent. The protesting people were seen raising slogans against the release of the juvenile.

People held various placards with slogans like, 'Age is not the criteria if crime is rape' and 'We want justice, hang the rapist' among others.

The parents of the victim are yet to reach Jantar Mantar.

The parents of the victim had earlier decided to hold the protest at the India Gate, but because of the imposition of Section 144 in the area, they were not allowed.

The convict, who is now 20-years-old and was known to be the most brutal of the attackers, has been taken to an undisclosed location from a correction home in North Delhi amid concerns that there was a threat to his life.

Earlier, the parents of the gangrape victim, along with students and activists were detained by the police as they staged a protest against the release of the juvenile convict. The police action was condemned by Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.

In December 2012, the teenager was part of the six member gang that lured a 23-year-old trainee physiotherapist and her male friend onto a bus, where the girl was gruesomely raped and her companion brutally beaten. The girl subsequently succumbed to her injuries 13 days later in Singapore.

The incident caused nationwide outrage and led to widespread outpouring of anger against the rapists, including the teenager.

Contact HuffPost India

Also see on HuffPost:

Photo gallery Weapons Women Carry With Them To Fend Off Attackers See Gallery