Three years after a young woman was brutally raped and murdered in the national capital on a moving bus, one of the accused, who was a juvenile at the time of the crime, is set to walk free but the parents of the victim say they feel no sense of closure.
According to the Times of India, as part of a rehabilitation plan by the Delhi government's department of women and child development (WCD), the rapist will be given a one-time financial grant of Rs 10,000 and a sewing machine so that he can set up a tailoring shop.
The Intelligence Bureau had earlier said that the rapist had allegedly been radicalised inside the correction home.
"We have failed. Now there is no hope for justice," the distraught parents of the December 16, 2012 gangarape victim told PTI and appealed to the government to not release the convict.
"With each passing day her memories get more intense. But we are not even able to face the memories as we have failed to secure justice for her. And now there is no hope for justice!," the 50-year-old father of the victim said. The juvenile convict, allegedly the most brutal of the six accused, is scheduled to be released on December 20 because his term at the minor observation home ends.
The parents have submitted representations to the Home Ministry and National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).
"For us he is the killer of our daughter who is being set free despite his heinous crime. We demand that he should not be released," the father said.
The Centre had asked Delhi High Court to extend the observation home stay of the juvenile convict, saying several mandatory aspects were missing from the post-release rehabilitation plan which needed to be considered before setting him free.
Today the parents, in collaboration with women's and citizens groups, will mark the day as 'Nirbhaya Chetna Divas' at Jantar Mantar.
Contact HuffPost India
Also see on HuffPost: