02/11/2015 4:55 PM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:25 AM IST

Couple Dies In Pune Due To Suffocation After Allegedly Inhaling Pest Control Fumes

A municipal worker fumigates a residential area to prevent mosquitoes from breeding in New Delhi, India, Wednesday, Sept. 16, 2015. New Delhi has been hit by an outbreak of the mosquito-borne disease, dengue fever. Nearly 1,900 cases have been recorded in the city's hospitals.(AP Photo/Bernat Armangue)

PUNE -- A young couple died of suffocation after allegedly inhaling poisonous fumes following a pest control fumigation in their flat here, police said today.

Dhawal Lahagania (24) and Mandira Chaudhary (26) -- both friends working in the same company -- had checked in the former's empty flat at Yamunanagar colony in the industrial township of Nigadi near here on Saturday afternoon.

They were unaware of the fumigation done by the pest control personnel on instructions of Dhawal's parents, who went out later to keep away from the place for mandatory 12 hours, police said.

According to the Nigadi police, Dhawal and Mandira experienced difficulty in breathing and felt suffocated after spending some time in the house as they inhaled the fumes.

Dhawal then called one of their friends who moved them to a hospital.

The couple, however, succumbed to the affliction yesterday, police said.

Contact HuffPost India

Also On HuffPost:

Photo gallery Harbhajan Singh's Wedding Reception See Gallery