24/10/2015 3:03 PM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:25 AM IST

15-Year-Old Dalit Boy's Postmortem Report Shows He Died Due To Hanging From His Neck

Hindustan Times via Getty Images
FARIDABAD, INDIA - OCTOBER 21: Villagers of Sunpedh village blocked the Faridabad-Ballabhgarh highway, as they were demanding the arrest of the perpetrators where two kids of a Dalit family were allegedly burnt alive by upper-caste Rajputs, on October 21, 2015 in Faridabad, India. As two-and-a-half-year-old Vaibhav and 11-month-old Divya were killed in Faridabad's Sumped village after their house was set on fire allegedly by some upper caste men. Their mother Rekha, 28, is fighting for life with 70 per cent burns. Their father has sustained injuries too. The family has alleged that the attack was the fallout of a long-standing feud with a group of upper caste people in the village. According to the sources, Thakur community set the house on fire around 3 am by pouring petrol through an open window while the family was asleep. (Photo by Sanjeev Verma/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

SONIPAT -- A Special Investigation Team has been formed to probe the death of a 15-year-old Dalit youth in Gohana here, a day after two ASIs were booked on murder charges following allegations from the family that he died in police custody.

The move to form the SIT-headed by a DSP came as Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar came under attack for claiming that the boy, Govind, had committed suicide.

Police said the postmortem, which was conducted by a board of doctors, showed that the boy died due to hanging.

"The SIT has been formed in the case. The report of the postmortem, which was conducted by a board of doctors, says that the boy died due to hanging. There was also a mark on his neck," the Rohtak Range Inspector General of Police, Shrikant Jadhav, told PTI today.

On the directions of Jadhav, a SIT had also been formed to conduct further investigations in the case.

"The SIT will be headed by Rohtak Police DSP rank officer Amit Bhatia," Superintendent of Police, Sonipat, Abhishek Garg said today.

He said the situation in Gohana town was peaceful after protests by the boy's family, which had alleged that he was beaten by police and died in custody after being accused of pigeon theft.

The two Assistant Sub-inspectors were booked on murder charges and also under sections of the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act on the direction of National Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe Commission.

Yesterday, Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar had told reporters here that "the post mortem report will throw light on why the suicide took place and for what reasons."

He had said the boy's family was involved in a dispute with another family over some money and pigeon and that the boy was not questioned and he had himself gone to the police station.

Congress had attacked the Chief Minister for claiming that the boy had committed suicide even before the investigation was completed.

"When Chief Minister of the state like M L Khattar will pre-judge a case before investigation, may I ask who will punish the guilty in this country. It is shameful, it is condemnable and it is reprehensible," chief spokesman Randeep Surjewala had said.

He alleged that it reflected a mindset which is anti-dalit, anti-poor and anti-backward that is "taught in the school of RSS and BJP."

The Gohana incident had come close on the heels of two Dalit children being burnt alive at Sunped village in Faridabad district.

Also Read: Manohar Lal Khattar To V.K. Singh: Leaders Leave BJP Red-Faced With Comments On Dalits


Contact HuffPost India