His hair hasn't greyed yet, nor does he spout ancient scriptures regularly. But despite this, thousands of people are following young Hardik Patel from Ahmedabad, who has been demanding an Other Backward Cast (OBC) reservation for the Patel community in the state of Gujarat.
But who is Hardik Patel, really?
Here are some facts about the young man that may help you form an opinion about him:
1. He is a lover of guns. In fact, several weeks ago, a video had surfaced online, showing the young leader brandishing weapons and shouting slogans. "The weapons are not meant for any illegal activity. They have been used as a symbolic gesture. It is meant to protect my community from oppression," Hardik told NDTV.
2. According to media reports Hardik is a B.Com graduate from Shree Sahajanand Arts And Commerce College in Ahmedabad and reportedly scored less than 50 percent marks in his graduation.
3. Hardik has been with the Patidar Anamat Sangathan since he was 17 years old.
4. Reportedly, his father, who's from Viramgam in Gujarat, is a BJP member
5. Hardik claims to be completely apolitical
6. He calls Gujarat CM Anandiben Patel his aunt, so that she'd understand why her "nephews" are agitating on roads.
7. He's an ardent follower of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel and Lord Rama.
8. After graduating, according to media reports, Hardik used to run his father's business of supplying water to commercial establishments.
Contact HuffPost India