Pakistan has repeatedly denied that it has sheltered underworld don Dawood Ibrahim, wanted in India for orchestrating the 1993 bomb blasts that killed 257 people in Mumbai. Even in May this year, Pakistan High Commissioner, Abdul Basit, said the dreaded gangster "was not in Pakistan", when Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh told Parliament that India knew about Dawood's whereabouts.
But an exclusive report in the Hindustan Times today exposed several discrepancies in the Pakistani narrative.
The HT report, quoting intelligence inputs, stated that Dawood, his wife Mehjabeen Shaikh, son Moeen Nawaz and daughters Mahrukh, Mehreen and Mazia are living in the upscale Clifton neighborhood of Pakistan's Karachi. Dawood's daughter Mahrukh is married to Junaid, son of former Pakistan cricket captain Javed Miandad.
Indian intelligence agencies have an April 2015 telephone bill in the name of Dawood's wife Mehjabeen with D-13, Block-4, Karachi Development Authority, Sch-5, Clifton, as the address, according to the report. Dawood has three Pakistani passports and two more residential addresses in Karachi.
Dawood's family members have travelled to Dubai in January this year. According to the image that HT published of Dawood's Pakistani passport photo, the 59-year-old crime syndicate chief is now cleanshaven, has a receding hairline and has not had plastic surgery done on his face.
Sleuths also have his passport numbers, flight and passenger details.
"Pakistan's Dawood lie is also nailed from the fact that the mafia don's close associates like Jabir Saddiq, Jawaid Chotani and Mumbai blasts accused Javed Patel a.k.a Chikna are also based in Pakistan and are frequent visitors to Dubai. There are flight details to show that Saddiq travelled to Dubai from Karachi on July 20, 2015 and returned four days later," Shishir Gupta wrote in the report for HT.
Now, if they meet on Monday, Indian National Security Advisor Ajit Doval will confront his counterpart Sartaj Aziz with the documentary evidence, the report said.
Pakistan said late last night that it was "deeply disappointed" at India putting forth "pre-conditions" for the National Security Adviser-level talks, accusing New Delhi of going back on the decision mutually agreed at the highest level by coming up with "frivolous pretexts".
Pakistan Foreign Office spokesperson said, "We are deeply disappointed at the statement of the Spokesperson of India's Ministry of External Affairs, putting forth pre-conditions for official talks to take place with Pakistan at the level of the National Security Advisors."
Drawing a redline, India had earlier made it clear to Pakistan that a meeting between Kashmiri separatists and Pakistan National Security Adviser during his visit here was not appropriate. Aziz is due to meet them on Monday morning.
Pakistan reacted strongly to insist that it would not depart from the "established past practice" of interacting with separatist Hurriyat leaders, rejecting India's advice not to go ahead with their meeting with Aziz.
Tension between the two countries has increased alarmingly as a result of frequent violations on the Line of Control and Working Boundary, in the past months.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh said, "We are firm on our stand that whatever talks, dialogue are held with Pakistan, that should only and only be on terrorism." He also said that talks and terrorism can never go together.
The Home Minister said India's intentions are clear to have dialogue with Pakistan, but that should be only on terrorism.
"We stick to commitment between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif in Ufa to engage in a substantive discussion on terrorism," he said, adding, "It is to be seen what our neighbour have to say." (With inputs from PTI)