Nestle India's plea for an interim stay on the food regulator's ban on Maggi noodles was turned down by the Bombay High Court today. The next hearing has been set for June 30.
The company's counsel argued that the Maggi samples, in which excess lead was found, had been lying open for over three months and that might have led to higher content of lead.
"Parents have been told that their children have been poisoned for 30 years," the company said. "It (Maggi) is not a product thrust on a third world country which has failed safety standards. It is sold in other countries. We have built up a reputation for nutritious and safe food."
He said the company wants 'natural justice' and said that the move to ban Maggi by the Food Safety & Standards Authority Of India (FSSAI) was "arbitrary and illegal".
The court asked FSSAI and the Maharashtra government to file their response to Maggi's plea within two weeks.
Additional Solicitor General Anil Singh, who is also Maharashtra's advocate general, is representing FSSAI and the state government. Nestle India has hired law firm Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas for this case.
Nestle, the world's biggest food company, had filed for a judicial review of the ban order passed by FSSAI, which prohibits the sale, distribution and production of Maggi noodles.
Contact HuffPost India