DJIBOUTI — Minister of State for External Affairs General (retired) VK Singh has said that over 3,000 Indian nationals have been brought back home from strife-hit Yemen till now.
"We are trying our best to evacuate as many people as possible and as soon as possible. After today's movement with the ships almost 3000+ will be home," Singh, who has been overseeing the evacuation in Yemen, said yesterday.
"Our aim is that whoever needs our help should be given the help. It is a part of our national philosophy that we must assist anybody who needs assistance," he added.
He pointed out that the evacuation process will continue till the government is convinced that everyone who wants to leave has been rescued.
"My assessment is that out of all those who want to leave Yemen, I don't think more than 200-300 are left," he added.
Three Air India flights flew 574 passengers out of Yemen's Sana'a, while INS Mumbai evacuated 474 from Al Hudaydah port yesterday.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had earlier on Monday lauded the defence officials and all other government organisations, which contributed to the rescue work.
Prime Minister Modi also praised External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Singh for their efforts, expressing happiness that the Indian forces rescued other nationals as well.
The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) had earlier confirmed that 488 Indians had been evacuated from Sana'a, while a further 182 were rescued from coastal town, Ash Shihr.
This followed the rescue of 439 Indians by INS Mumbai from Yemen 's port city Aden on Saturday.
Contact HuffPost India