07/04/2015 1:17 AM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:25 AM IST

Delhi Road Rage Killing Triggers Anguish And Outrage

Hindustan Times via Getty Images
NEW DELHI, INDIA - APRIL 6: Family members of a road rage victim Shahnawaz mourn his death at a street of Turkman Gate area on April 6, 2015 in New Delhi, India. 38-year-old Shahnawaz, who owns an electrical shop, was returning home from a family function with his sons on a motorbike when it was hit by a car near Turkman Gate in Daryaganj around 11.30 p.m. on Sunday. The car occupants beat him to death. (Photo by Arun Sharma/Hindustan Times via Getty Images)

The death of Shahnawaz, a 38-year-old father, in a horrific episode of road rage on Sunday night in central Delhi has triggered an outpouring of grief and outrage.

On Monday, furious protestors staged demonstrations and blocked roads to express their anguish at the senseless tragedy, which unfolded near Turkman Gate in Daryaganj. Enraged locals set vehicles ablaze. Burqa-clad women showed their solidarity by forming a human chain on the road.

Additional security forces were deployed near Turkman Gate to prevent the demonstrations from turning violent.

On Monday evening, protestors caused a massive traffic jam that spread all the way from Turkman Gate and Delhi Gate to Connaught Place and India Gate.

Shahnawaz, who owned an electrical store, was returning home with his two sons when his bike hit a car with four to five occupants near Turkman Gate. Following an argument, the men allegedly beat up Shahnawaz so badly that he died of his injuries before reaching the hospital.

Shahnawaz's sons, Fahad, 13, and Kaif, 9, said that their father was beaten with an iron rod, NDTV reported.

Shahnawaz's 33-year-old wife, Farzana, was reportedly in a complete state-of-shock. His 50-year-old mother, Noorjahan, was inconsolable. On Monday, she spoke to the media while clutching her son's blood-soaked black t-shirt close to her heart, IANS reported. "I fed him food minutes before they killed him...those cruel people killed my son. They should be arrested soon," she said.

Noorjahan said that her two grandsons pleaded with two policemen to help their father, but they didn't provide any assistance. Shahnawaz was dead by the time his family, who live close to the scene of the accident, reached the spot to see him lying in a pool of blood. "There were two constables there. But when we asked for help, they just walked away," said Fahad.

So far, one suspect has been arrested. "It is an unfortunate incident of road rage, where a young man has been killed. We are going to ensure that all those who are involved in this incident are brought to justice," said Police Commissioner B.S. Bassi.

Shahnawaz was also the father of a five-year-old daughter.

Contact HuffPost India