NEW DELHI — Atleast 23 countries have requested India to help evacuate their citizens from war-torn Yemen, after over one thousand Indians were successfully rescued and brought back home, said external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj.
Twenty three countries have requested India to evacuate their citizens from Yemen.— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) April 6, 2015
On Sunday, the minister had assured that all Indian nationals would be evacuated from the Middle East country.
We shall evacuate all Indian nationals from Yemen. Nobody will be left behind for want of travel documents.— Sushma Swaraj (@SushmaSwaraj) April 5, 2015
Over 1,350 Indians have been rescued so far with the help of the Indian Navy, air force, and national carrier Air India. There are still around 4,000 Indian citizens left in Yemen — including those married to Yemeni nationals — where the situation is rapidly disintegrating into a full blown civil war.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi praised Swaraj, and union minister VK Singh, who has been coordinating India's efforts out of Sanaa, Yemen and Djibouti.
Seamless co-operation between organisations- MEA, Navy, Air Force, Air India, Shipping, Railways & State Govts greatly helped in rescue work— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) April 6, 2015
Earlier in the day, defence minister Manohar Parrikar said that the navy's warships had rescued citizens of other countries along with Indian nationals from some of Yemen's most dangerous hotspots.