20/03/2015 11:15 AM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:25 AM IST

Militants Attack Kathua Police Station In J&K; 2 Killed, 9 Injured

Anadolu Agency via Getty Images
SRINAGAR, KASHMIR - FEBRUARY 11: An Indian paramilitary soldier stands guard in old city on the death anniversary of Maqbool Bhat, on February 11, 2015 in Srinagar, India. A curfew remained in place in parts of Srinagar for the third consecutive day, amid a shutdown to mark the death anniversary of a leader of the Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), a pro-independence party, Maqbool Bhat, who was hanged by the Indian government on February 11, 1984 at New Delhi's Tihar jail. (Photo by Ahmer Khan/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)

JAMMU — A policeman was among two persons killed and nine others injured, including seven CRPF men, when a group of militants of a 'fidayeen' squad dressed in Army fatigues stormed a police station in Kathua district of Jammu and Kashmir in the wee hours today.

A militant was also killed in the operation, according to an injured CRPF constable Bharat Prabhu.

Police officers said a group of two to three militants of a 'fidayeen' squad stormed Rajbagh Police Station in the wee hours and opened indiscriminate fire.

"It is a fidayeen attack," IGP Jammu Danish Rana said.

Prabhu said the militants wearing Army uniforms intercepted a jeep going from Jammu to Pathankot on the pretext of checking the vehicle.

The ultras then hijacked the jeep which had three passengers on board and fled towards the Rajbagh Police Station where they opened fire on a sentry and killed him.

The militants then hurled grenades at the police station and opened indiscriminate fire.

Nine persons have been injured in the attack - seven CRPF personnel, a policeman and a civilian.

The encounter is still going.

Deputy Chief Minister Nirmal Singh told reporters outside the Assembly that militants have attacked the police station.

In the firing, a sentry died and another person was injured, who later succumbed to his injuries, police said.

Additional troops have been rushed to the spot and the Jammu-Pathankot Highway has been closed as a precautionary measure.

Entire area in and around the police station has been cordoned off.

Home Minister Rajnath Singh spoke to the DGP of Jammu and Kashmir and took stock of the situation.

Singh has directed the Home Secretary to closely monitor the situation.

There have been similar terror attacks on police stations and Army camps in Kathua and Samba districts in 2013 and 2014.

Contact HuffPost India