29/01/2015 6:47 PM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:24 AM IST

Motorola Sold 3 Million Units In India

NELSON ALMEIDA via Getty Images
The new low cost smartphone of Motorola, 'Motorola Moto G', is displayed in Sao Paulo, Brazil on November 13, 2013. The smartphone, with dimensions 65.9mm W x 129.9mm H x 6.0 - 11.6mm D is equipped with a Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 with quad-core 1,2 GHz CPU, a 4.5-inch display and Android Operating System 4.3 and a suggested price of $ 179 USD. AFP PHOTO / NELSON ALMEIDA (Photo credit should read NELSON ALMEIDA/AFP/Getty Images)

New Delhi: Handset maker Motorola announced that it had sold more than three million devices units in ten months of being introduced in India, at a press conference in Bangalore. The news was made official through their official India account.

The Moto E and Moto G make up 80-85 per cent of the sales, Motorola India General Manager Amit Boni told PTI. "We are looking at setting up 5-10 experience centres across metros this year. The first of these is expected to come up in Bangalore soon. These centres, apart from offering product experience, will also double up as customer care centres," he said.

Motorola currently sells four products - the Moto E, Moto G, Moto X and the Moto 360 smart watch in India exclusively through e-commerce firm Flipkart. Motorola had stopped sales of its products in India after being acquired by Google in 2012, but came back after its acquisition by Lenovo with the launch of the Moto G in February last year.

Asked about the roadmap post the acquisition by Lenovo, Boni said: "The strategy is very clear. India will see both Lenovo and Motorola... Instead of seeing us as competition to each other with a five and a three per cent share, look at us as a combined entity with 8 per cent share competing with the remaining 92 per cent of the market." He added that India is one of the most important markets for the company and that business here is doing phenomenally well.

According to research firm IDC, India is the fastest growing smartphone market in the Asia Pacific region with about 82 per cent growth in the July-September quarter of 2014 over the same period last year.

The growth is being driven by increasing preference of consumers to upgrade to smartphones as well as shorter refresh cycles. The shipments grew 82 per cent year-on-year to 23.3 million units in the third quarter of this year, while it was higher by 27 per cent on a quarter-on-quarter basis, IDC said in a statement.

Samsung was the leader in the smartphone market with 24 per cent share, followed by Micromax (20 per cent), Lava and Karbonn (8 per cent each) and Motorola (5 five per cent) in the third quarter of 2014.

(with Agency Inputs)

More On This Topic