31/12/2014 3:51 PM IST | Updated 15/07/2016 8:24 AM IST

Mumbai Attacks Mastermind Lakhvi Challenges His Detention In Abduction Case In Pak

An alleged plotter of Mumbai attacks, Pakistani Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, center, prays with Syed Salahuddin, right, chief of Hezbul Mujahedeen, or United Jehad Council, at a rally on Saturday, June 28, 2008, in Muzaffarabad, capital of Pakistani Kashmir. Pakistan has detained Zarrar Shah, another alleged mastermind of the Mumbai terrorist attacks, Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani confirmed Wednesday, Dec. 10, 2008, apparently making good on pledges to pursue the perpetrators. (AP Photo/Roshan Mughal)

Mumbai attack mastermind Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, who has been remanded to police custody in an abduction case, today challenged his detention in a Pakistani court.

"Lakhvi has filed an application in the district and sessions court against implicating him in a false and fabricated FIR," Lakhvi's counsel Raja Rizwan Abbasi told PTI.

"The FIR has (a) ghost character (abducted person) as well as carrying a concocted story to keep my client behind the bars," he said, alleging that the government had done so under India's pressure.

Just before Lakhvi was to be released yesterday, he was arrested on charges of kidnapping a man named Muhammad Anwar Khan, an Afghan national. In a FIR registered on Monday at a police station in Islamabad, Anwar said he was kidnapped by Lakhvi six years ago.

The police also got Lakhvi's two-day physical remand from a judicial magistrate.

Lakhvi, 54, was granted bail on December 18 in the Mumbai attack case but was detained under the Maintenance of Public Order (MPO). He challenged his detention under MPO in the Islamabad High Court which on Monday suspended the government order, evoking a strong reaction from India.

Lakhvi is being kept under high security at the Shalimar Police Station here. He will be produced before the court tomorrow in the kidnapping case.

A Pakistan interior ministry official told PTI that the police would seek his further physical remand.

"The police will seek extension to his remand for at least one week," the official said.