A lot happened this week around India. The Uber rape case yet again showed Delhi in a poor light, and led to the app's ban in multiple states. Religious conversions led to heated debate in parliament, and a Hindutva group promised to do more of them.
Here is a roundup of major news around India's states:
1. Uttar Pradesh: Hindutva group says it will hold a mass conversion event on December 25. Requests for donation have been circulated around the state. This comes after the controversial conversion event this week that was carried out by Dharma Jagaran Manch and Bajrang Dal, both fringe Hindutva groups. 57 Muslim families, consisting mostly of poor migrants from Bihar and Bengal, were converted to Hinduism in Agra. The families later said they were tricked into it with the promise of ration cards and below-poverty-line status which guarantees subsidies.
Six people have been arrested in connection with communal killings during the Muzaffarnagar riots last year. 62 people had died in the riots that happened in September 2013.
2. Jammu and Kashmir: Voting began in the fourth phase of state assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir.
3. Jharkhand: Voting is on in the fourth phase of state elections in Jharkhand. Many of the polling stations are marked as sensitive due to threats to voters from Maoist groups who oppose the government.
4. Himachal Pradesh: 600 tourists rescued in the state after heavy snowfall.
5. Delhi: Delhi police will use mini drones fitted with night vision cameras for patrolling and making the capital safe for women. This came after a young woman was raped in a Uber cab.
6. Haryana: Woman gangraped, sold for Rs. 40,000 and her son killed in Rewari district in the state.
7. Rajasthan: Big projects, including building new toilets, schools and highways announced in the state on the first anniversary of the BJP government.
8. West Bengal: Poorva Express derailed near Howrah. No one hurt.
Transport Minister Madan Mitra arrested in connection with the Saradha chit fund scam. Mitra is a close ally of chief minister Mamta Banerjee and a founding member of the Trinamool Congress. The scam, a ponzi scheme, has become the biggest controversy for Mamta after she became chief minister of the state.
9. Karnataka: Pro-ISIS Twitter account operator Mehdi Biswas arrested in Bangalore and remanded to 5 days judicial custody.
10. Chattisgarh: BJP MP Dinesh Kashyap allegedly took party in a 'conversion' event earlier in October. 33 Christian families are said to have converted to Hinduism.
11. Orissa: Pakistan defeated India in the Champions Trophy semifinal in Bhubaneshwar, but followed it up with a wild celebration and rude gestures at the crowd. Two of them have been suspended and will miss the final against Germany later today.