You know you're a morning person when you describe waking up at 9:30am as a "lie-in". For as long as I can remember, the early hours of the day have been my favourite. My productivity levels and motivation are at their peak first thing in the day. More importantly, my mornings seem to set the tone for the rest of my day. A healthy morning almost always guarantees a healthier day. Even if you are more of a "night owl", there's no reason why you can't make your mornings count. A few tweaks are enough to upgrade your morning routine to help you achieve a healthier, more energised and determined version of yourself... even before you head out to work.
1) Drink a cup of hot water and lemon juice: This will help flush out the toxins in your body by enhancing enzyme function and stimulating your liver. Consider this elixir your natural detox drink for the day, especially as it also helps reduce acidity and inflammation in the body.
2) Get moving: Thirty minutes of physical activity first thing in the day ensures greater mental sharpness for the rest of the day, while also leaving you energised and fresh to tackle your day.
3) Chant, pray, meditate: Or do anything that mentally engages you and gives you some kind of spiritual workout.
4) Eat a nutritious breakfast : This will wake up your metabolism and get your engine revving to start burning excess calories. Incorporate wholegrain carbs, lean protein and healthy fats into your breakfast to help regulate your hormones, appetite and cravings throughout the day.
5) Set your alarm 30 minutes earlier : Doing so will help you avoid feeling frazzled and feeling like you're racing against time. It's amazing how an extra few minutes can lead to a calmer, more relaxed morning.
6) Map out your schedule and goals for the day : A little advance preparation will maximise your potential and improve your efficiency. Make a list of everything that needs to be achieved that day and highlight the priority tasks. To keep you focused and less overwhelmed during the day, block out certain time slots for each task.
Each morning truly is a brand new opportunity. Each day is another chance to get it right. Make your mornings work for you, not against you. It's as simple as building a few easy habits.