KOLKATA -- Ishrat Jehan, who was one of the five petitioners in the triple talaq case, on Thursday accused her former husband and in-laws of kidnapping her two children, who were later found with their father by the police.
Ishrat filed a police complaint, claiming that her former husband, who had returned from Dubai on 29 August, had taken the children away.
Police have traced the 2 kids. Ishrat's husband took both kids to a relative's place in Bardhaman this morning:Officer in-charge Golabari PS— ANI (@ANI) August 31, 2017
"At around 11 AM, my son and daughter had gone to play in the neighborhood from where they went missing after some time," Ishrat told PTI.
Howrah city police commissioner D P Singh said the children were later found with their father and were brought to a police station.
"The children said they were with their father on their own volition," Singh said.
One of the five petitioners in the triple talaq case that was decided by the Supreme Court on 22 August, Ishrat said in her complaint yesterday that the children had been kidnapped by her former husband, aided by his brother and his wife.
Ishrat, who lives in the Pilkhana area of Howrah, said she filed the complaint with the Golabari police station.
She had recently written to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee seeking security, saying that neither she nor her children had been provided with any police cover.
Ishrat wrote to Banerjee after allegedly facing threats from her former in-laws and neighbors following the court verdict banning the practice of instantaneous triple talaq.
She has a 13-year-old daughter and a seven-year-old son.
Ishrat's husband had divorced her over the phone from Dubai in 2014 by uttering the word 'talaq' thrice, a practice struck down by the apex court.
Also on HuffPost India: