NEWS

A Delhi Man Ended Up With A Hole In His Stomach After Unknowingly Drinking Liquid Nitrogen At A Bar

The lower part of his stomach was 'open like a book'.

03/07/2017 7:50 PM IST | Updated 03/07/2017 7:59 PM IST
Desmond Boylan / Reuters

A 30-year-old Delhi man's weekend plan landed him in a hospital, with a 'hole in his stomach'.

According to a Hindustan Times report, the man, who wished not to be named, had a drink with some white smoke coming out of it. The white smoke was nothing but liquid nitrogen.

"When I gulped down the drink, I started feeling very uncomfortable, like how you feel when there is an acid reflux. The bartender passed me another drink and I had it, not thinking too much about the discomfort. However, within seconds, my stomach started swelling and I was in unbearable pain. Breathing was also difficult," the report quoted him saying.

Soon after his condition deteriorated and he was taken to a hospital in Gurgaon, where doctors took him to the surgery and found that there was a huge hole in his stomach which they said "was open like a book".

The acid that has an expansion ratio of 1:694 at 20 degree Celsius and is used to freeze drinks.

"The gas did not have an escape route after the person consumed it and the sphincter closed, this is what led to a perforation (a hole) in his stomach," Dr Amit Deepta Goswami, treating the victim, reportedly told Hindustan Times.

Since the patient had suffered severe damage to his stomach, the doctors had to remove the damaged portion and connect it to the small intestine.

Also on HuffPost India

Hailstorm in Wayanad

More On This Topic

SPONSORED BY &PRIVÉ HD