NEWS

Saharanpur Violence A Well-Planned Conspiracy, Those Responsible Won't Be Spared, Says UP Home Secretary

He said that in the next 24 hours, the situation is likely to become normal.

26/05/2017 9:11 PM IST | Updated 26/05/2017 9:13 PM IST
Hindustan Times via Getty Images

SAHARANPUR -- Terming the recent caste-based violence in Saharanpur a "well-planned" conspiracy, Uttar Pradesh Principal Home Secretary Mani Parsad Mishra on Thursday said those responsible will not be spared.

Addressing a press conference, he said though there had been incidents of violence reported from the district in the last few years, it had not attained the magnitude which was witnessed during the 20 April, 5, 9 and 23 May clashes.

"It was also witnessed that since (the) 20 April violence, the intensity of such incidents has been on a rise and somewhere it has been felt that there was something lacking in the police administration," he said, adding that following which, a new team was sent to the district within 24 hours.

He said that in the next 24 hours, the situation is likely to become normal and those responsible for the violence would not be spared and no innocent would be made a scapegoat.

After arriving here, he said that he had met a number of people from Shabbirpur, including the aged, women and children, and came across cases in which an 80-year-old man or a 14-year-old child have been made an accused.

When asked why Congress leader Shailja was stopped from visiting Shabbirpur while Deoband MLA Brijesh Singh was allowed, he said there is a total ban on visits by any political leaders to Shabbirpur, and, if it has happened, then action would be taken against those responsible.

On the arrest of Bhim Army leader Chandrashekhar Azad, he said he would be arrested soon.

Asked about the ban on internet, he said the ban was imposed after there were reports of misuse of social media but it would be lifted soon when the situation becomes normal.

Also on HuffPost India:

Hailstorm in Wayanad

More On This Topic